4.22.2003

Walt Disney's Treasure Planet is another one of those happy surprises I discovered while on board Singapore Airlines back to Manila. I admit I was one of those people who quickly judged the film as nothing but a poor parody of a classic that's best left alone. I took a chance on watching this one after a couple of Mr. Bean and Powerpuff Girls cartoons on the small screen left me wanting more (enlarge picture).

It's not much the animation that appealed to me but the touching story of an impetuous kid who grew up without a father and how he found a worthy substitute in the most unlikely character. Though they set out on their journey to find a lost treasure for their own selfish purposes they each found the missing pieces of their lives from the other thereby redeeming the past and changing the course of their destiny. Cool movie. Wonder why it flopped in the US?