1.12.2003

I just watched this Tagalog movie based on an old novel by Lualhati Bautista

The story revolves around a family of seven whose lives are radically changed by the tumultous events that shaped the Marcos era in the 1970s. After a series of tragedy coming one after the other, the true pillar of strength turns out to be the long-suffering mother (Vilma Santos) and not the stoic father (Christopher De Leon). I've yet to watch Mano Po which I think won the best picture category in the recently concluded Metro Manila Film Festival, and see if it really lives up to its hype. I'll post my reactions to that movie when I get to watch it hopefully within this week. Back to the movie "Dekada '70" I really loved the way the Star Studio came up with authentic props from that decade from the clothes, the house, and modes of transportation down to the bottles of softdrinks and birthday cake. The 70s atmosphere was really complete! I also liked the way Vilma Santos portrayed her character with quiet dignity as she endured various hardships and betrayals from her husband to her sons and to the situations beyond their control. While Tagalog movies are notorious for exaggerated screaming and crying I liked the way she restrained herself. All the actors revolved in intensity around her, they're really good except for some but that's OK.

I'm really at a loss on what to say. This is a really great movie and I will buy a copy of it in VCD or prolly DVD if and when it's available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home